It’s Autumn Steam Sale Time
Last year I didn’t buy much in the way of steam sales, for whatever reason. I suppose I owned most of the games I wanted and nothing really appealed to me. This year I have tried to be much better about purchasing games when they go on sale, and realizing that I don’t NEED to pick up that game the day it comes out.
This year there have been lots of games I want, and most of them are indie games still in alpha which surprises me. I have really been looking forward to the steam sales, and I’ve already added a few games to my collection that were on my wishlist. What have I picked up so far?
Gone Home – 75% off. One look at the key features makes this game an easy purchase for me, especially since it was only $5.
- A Personal Story: created by veterans of the BioShock series and the writer behind Minerva’s Den, Gone Home offers the rich, nuanced details of one family’s struggles to deal with uncertainty, heartache, and change.
- An Immersive Place: return to the 1990s by visiting a home where every detail has been carefully recreated, and the sounds of a rainstorm outside wrap you in the experience.
- No Combat, No Puzzles: Gone Home is a nonviolent and puzzle-free experience, inviting you to play at your own pace without getting attacked, stuck, or frustrated. This house wants you to explore it.
- Fully Interactive Investigation: discover what’s happened to the Greenbriars by examining a house full of the family’s personal possessions, and the notes and letters they’ve left behind. Use your powers of observation to piece together a story that unfolds as you explore.
Deponia – 80% off. This isn’t a game for everyone, with crude jokes and off colour humor, but I absolutely love the art style.
- Unique comic style with hand-drawn HD resolution 2D graphics
- Bizarre characters and wacky humor
- Challenging puzzles and hours of dialogue
- Unique universe in the tradition of Douglas Adams (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy), Terry Pratchett (Discworld) and Matt Groening (The Simpsons, Futurama)
- From the creators of the award-winning games Edna & Harvey: The Breakout, Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes and The Whispered World
Chaos on Deponia – 50% off. A sequel to the above.
Civilization V: Brave New World – 50% off. The latest expansion, which I’ve been waiting to pick up for some time now. I love playing Civilization, it’s relaxing and calm and fun, a great way for me to wind down.
I’m still waiting for some games on my wishlist to go on sale at a larger discount, games like Craft the World, Castle Story, The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim: Dragonborn, Long Live the Queen, Gnomoria, and Ittle Dew. In the mean time, I’m very happy with what I’ve picked up so far.
I hope all of my American friends have a very happy thanksgiving today, I celebrated mine last month here in Canada, but I’ll be enjoying a nice relaxing afternoon watching football and I hope everyone has a great day, no matter where they find themselves.
i love me some adventure games but I absolutely hated Deponia…the art style was great but the characters are both uninteresting and off putting at the same time. The writing is rather terrible and the puzzles have some rather terrible adventure game reasoning as well.