Sunday: Meals of the Week Post
The meals from last week were a huge hit. I didn’t get bored of the meatloaf / stuffing for dinner, and I didn’t get bored of the corn quesadillas. One thing I did add was pickled red onion. I am pretty sure I could eat that stuff on everything, and it’s incredibly easy to make.
This week I’m opting for simple flavours again. Chicken is on sale (two whole chickens for $15, normally you get one for $10-$15) and shrimp is on sale. I still have ground beef frozen since I only used half of it for my meatloaf, but I’m thinking that might get turned into a burger later on, or maybe chili. Anyway. This weeks meals –
Blackened shrimp tacos with a lime slaw
Quinoa fried rice: this recipe was adapted from the myfitnesspal blog.
- 2 chicken thighs, cooked, shredded
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 diced small white onion
- 1 cup sliced carrots (thin)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fine chopped fresh ginger
- sriracha to taste
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions (I cooked mine in a rice cooker with a cup of water, and I also used ancient grains instead of regular. It has a really nutty flavour).
- Scramble eggs in a non-stick pan over low heat. Slice into strips and set aside.
- Add oil to a large pan over medium heat. Add carrots, onion, garlic, and ginger. Cook until soft.
- Add peas, corn, and cooked chicken. Heat until warm.
- Add quinoa, and scrambled eggs. Mix it all up.
- Add soy sauce and sriracha to taste.
- Can store in the fridge for up to a week. Serve warm.
Easy and delicious meals for the week. I may mix a bit of brown rice in with the quinoa, but it doesn’t need it, I just use it for bulk. I plan on serving some sweet potato crisps along with the tacos just for a bit extra too (a treat my other half sent me while he’s away).
The only instant pot stuff I plan on making is the whole chicken, and the quinoa / rice. It’ll still save dishes / time / hassle of having to cook it so I don’t mind too much.
My breakfast of chai seeds / oats / homemade yogurt / cubed apple / maple syrup (just a splash) / spices was absolutely delicious. I’m not sure if I want another week of the exact same breakfast or if i want to switch it up. None of the things I enjoy for breakfast are on sale this week, bacon is expensive, eggs get boring. I imagine I’ll figure it out when I do my groceries for the week.
I’m not down any weight this week, still hovering around the 197-198 mark but I’m also not up any weight and some weeks that’s just as good. I know I didn’t eat as well as I could have (my other half sent me a care package with some treats in it) but it’s a marathon not a race, as the saying goes. This week I should be able to stick with things a bit better and hopefully get down another pound (or two).
Making any exciting meals this week? Have a recipe you want to share? A site that you get most of your meal prep from? Let me know in comments!